Sunday, January 1, 2017

Doll Hair Care Tips

*Posting just in case there is a newbie like me out there in Google Land looking for information on fixing doll hair.

I am very new to and still learning about rescuing and fixing dolls and trying to revive their hair.  I recently tried to fix a Disney Rapunzel dolls hair by submerging in Downy Fabric Softener aka the "Downy Dunk" and by boil washing the hair.

I realized I still have a lot to learn and decided to do more research.  Here are a few of the tips I have gleaned from Google.

Using fabric softener knows as the "Downy Dunk" is a last ditch effort to fix a dolls hair.  Before giving in and re-wigging the doll.  "Boil washing" does help the doll if you don't leave it in the water too long and eek melt the hair!!!!

From what I have read doll experts recommend "Braid Spray".  Braid Spray is the generic term used for a variety of spray on hair conditioners that can be used to care for and maintain synthetic hair.  A lot of wigs and extensions are made from synthetic hair.  The Braid Spray helps keep the wigs and extensions soft.

A lot of doll hair is also made out of synthetic hair.  So to keep the dolls hair in tip top shape use products made specifically for synthetic hair.  Such as:

  • Wig Shampoos and Conditioners
  • Braid Spray
  • Wire Wig Brushes used to brush out the wigs and extensions
You can purchase all of the above at places like Sally's Beauty Supply.

Braid Spray
Wire Wig Brush


It is recommended to only use a wire wig brush on your dolls hair.  Never use a comb or plastic bristle brush, which can snag or cause the hair to frizz.  

It is also recommended to only work on dolls hair after it has been spritzed with water.  To only work with damp, wet hair and never to brush it when it is dry.  

I am sure there are more tips...But this is what I have so far.

I am still researching and have so much to learn!!!!

This is definitely a work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment